The weekend of chocolate & treats – keeping our pets safe

The weekend of chocolate & treats – keeping our pets safe

The majority of the nation gets excited to be eating Easter eggs or chocolate for breakfast, lunch, or dinner or perhaps all three! But we need to careful and ensure our pets don’t get a hold of any, as chocolate could be dangerous for our animals, especially dogs!

What should you look out for this Easter?

Chocolate

Chocolate contains a chemical called ‘theobromine’, which is toxic to our pets. Even small amounts can result in vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, tremors, seizures (or fits), heart problems or death, in severe cases. So be careful where you keep your chocolate!

Hot cross buns

Hot cross buns contain dried fruit, such as currants, sultanas and raisins – and all of these are toxic to dogs. If your dog eats even a small quantity of these dried fruits (and grapes), they could suffer severe kidney failure which may be fatal. Sharing just a little bit with your dog isn’t worth the risk – please keep them away from hot cross buns altogether.

What should I do if I think my dog has been affected?

If you think your pet has eaten something they shouldn't, please contact your vet immediately for advice - we have a 24/7 emergency service available. It is very helpful if you can keep to hand any packaging of what your pet has eaten when you ring so that we can check the amounts of certain ingredients.

Newsletter
Copyright © 2020 Eastcott Veterinary Clinic and Hospital  |  All Rights Reserved
Eastcott Veterinary Clinic & Hospital
Edison Business Park
Hindle Way, Off Dorcan Way,
Swindon
Wiltshire,
SN3 3FR

Telephone: 01793 528341
email: enquiries@eastcottvets.co.uk